Thursday, June 13, 2013

Oooh, Child, Things Are Gonna Get Easier.

[Currently listening to: "MoneyGrabber" by Fitz & The Tantrums]


Lord, help me to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can...

I think that's how it goes. I probably botched it like I botch most song lyrics, but you get the gist. I have control issues. [Insert gasps, shock and awe here] What can I say? My "job" (some people don't think that being a stay-at-home mom is a real job. Ha!) was raising my children, and organizing every aspect of our household. I was so used to doing everything that I forgot my son suddenly went from one to eleven. It felt like it happened overnight. Setting out clothes when your child is one: appropriate. Setting out clothes when your child is eleven: notsomuch. Going through a divorce has taught me to let go of most (okay, some) of my control issues. For instance: I let the boy dress himself. He is going to middle school, after all. Does he wear two different shades of blue? Yes. Does he think that bed head is appropriate? Absolutely. I also let the 7-year-old dress herself. Even though she sometimes looks like a canvas of mismatched colors and patterns. Even though she sometimes insists on combing her Rapunzel-length hair into a somewhat braid.

Speaking of control, I'm learning to let go of control when they're with dad. This is downright difficult sometimes. After being the primary caregiver for twelve years, letting go of some of the control has proven to be God's way of testing my patience. Speaking of testing my patience, I'm currently weaning my son off The Minecraft, and electronics all together. Since Chloe's idea of fun is playing outside, tagging fences with water squirters, reading beaver books and doing arts and crafts, this isn't an issue for her. Trevor, well that's a different story. On day one, he went a little "cray-cray" (as he says), but now he's getting used to the swing of things. If I had my way, we'd be electronic free... except for my iPhone... and my iPad (used to update my SPEAK page)... and a desktop computer for long emails and blogs. I've been trying (key word: trying) to disconnect while I'm with the kids. Now that I have to share time with them, it's become quality versus quantity. Oftentimes I put my phone on silent, ignore the problems of the Douglas County School District and the Board of Education (seriously, guys... can you give me one week without being complete douchers?!), and spend quality time with my kiddos. I live in an amazing state with lots to do... it's about time we start exploring it for all its fun and beauty.

That being said, what do you all do for fun with your kids? I need some fun (cheap) ideas for the summer. Minecraft will NOT win, I tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment