Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Not-So-Fat Tuesday

[Currently listening to: "My Song" by Brandi Carlile]

 
Whenever I'm in a mood I "cook it out", crossfit, and/or write. I've lost my appetite, I have no energy to crossfit (I got my arse handed to me at this afternoon's WOD), so that leaves me with writing. And music. Speaking of music, I don't know if I should be grateful or freaked out that my iTunes playlist knows exactly what mood I'm in when it's on shuffle mode. Wherever you are, Steve Jobs, I feel as though you're watching out for my musical needs. [Pouring out some PBR for my homie] To those of you who are celebrating Fat Tuesday, feel free to indulge in my portion.

Even though my life is jam-packed with the normal day-to-day routine, I am frequently alone. I'm okay with being alone. I remember longing for solitude when my kids were babies. I'm sure the moms who are reading this remember the days of standing in the shower forever just to have some peace and quiet. Chloe was quite the crier, which is odd because she's so quiet now. It's as if she got it all out of her system when she was an infant. If you're currently going through that stage of life, hold on--it gets better and much more rewarding. If you never did that, kudos to you... you're probably a better mom than myself. I actually miss those days at times. Weird, right? 

I could write about how crazy my life is right now. I could write about really tough decisions. I could write about many things--too many to list, in fact. I won't bore you with those details, because let's face it, you probably read this to be entertained. I don't have much to entertain you, and the last thing I want to do is make you feel like you want to cut yourself with a butter knife. I've had a PBR and I'm sipping some Casa Noble Anejo on an empty stomach (loss of appetite, remember?), so I'll share a kick-ass recipe instead. I went to the EVOO Marketplace in downtown Littleton on Main Street, so here's a Paleo-friendly recipe I made with the goodies I brought home. I think it's become one of my favorite stores.



Roasted Brussels Sprouts
1 1/2 lbs. Brussels Sprouts
Infused Olive Oil 
Traditional Balsamic Vinegar
2 Cloves of Minced Garlic 
Kosher Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper


Organic Tuscan Herb Olive Oil and Traditional Balsamic Vinegar (aged 18 years)


1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash the brussels sprouts. Cut off the stems and remove any discolored leaves. Pat dry with a paper towel to ensure the oil coats the sprouts.
3. Add the brussels sprouts to a bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil (approximately 2-3 tablespoons), and sprinkle with a generous pinch of kosher salt (enough to season them nicely--remember, they can be bland) and freshly ground black pepper and minced garlic. Toss to ensure they're evenly coated.
4. Place the brussels sprouts in a single layer on a jelly roll pan/cookie sheet lined with foil for easy cleanup.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until tender and nicely browned.

 Even if you think you don't like brussels sprouts, I encourage you to give these a try!




No comments:

Post a Comment